(By Kenseal President Paul McKinnell)
With the recent acquisition of Kenseal Construction Products, the advent of “Better Together” is taking shape across the organization. We’ve had numerous opportunities to share best practices and strengthen the organization, and the best is yet to come. All of this work is having a positive impact on the company and its associates, but as a customer or vendor it’s natural to be asking “That’s all well and good, but what’s in it for me?”
It’s a fair question and one I’d like to take a moment to address, as part of our drive to be “Better Together” is focused on our goal of being the “supplier of first choice” to our customers and vendors. Here are just a few of the ways that we are bringing added value to the distribution equation:
- Increased Service Footprint – The combined entity now has over 50 locations to service its customers and distribute for its vendors. We’ve already expanded our capabilities in two markets; Kenseal Raleigh is now stocking a basic concrete slab package and A.H. Harris Richmond stocks a variety of Dow Corning, Pecora, Tremco and Henry Company products. Our customers have the ability to purchase and pick up products from these metropolitan areas just as they would their respective A.H. Harris and Kenseal locations. Next up – a Kenseal presence in Albany, NY with more expansion to come in 2017!
- More Inventory – With a combined 50+ locations, our partnership increases the amount of readily available inventory. This is especially helpful when it comes to buffering manufacturer lead times and meeting unexpected needs that pop up. Some recent examples of our customers being able to get “what they need, when they need it!” –
- An A.H. Harris Ardsley customer was working on a large Sika coating project and had an unexpected need for additional product to stay on schedule. The Kenseal Mount Vernon location had the product in stock and was able to ship the material the same day allowing our customer to remain on time and on budget!
- A Kenseal Boston customer was in a major bind when the concrete primer they needed for a coating application was delayed due to production issues with the manufacturer. The A.H. Harris Boston location was there to help with 6 gallons of product to keep the project moving along.
- An A.H. Harris customer in VT needed 2 pails of a seldom used waterproofing accessory product in conjunction with a large concrete repair project. The Harris team would have been required to order the material from the vendor and wait 5-7 days to get the product. Fortunately the Kenseal Boston team had it in stock and were able to ship the material out to the customer the same day.
- Cross Division Sales – We are with you from the ground up! Recently, one of our key manufacturer representatives was working with Kenseal and its customer on a large concrete repair project with a need for specialized application equipment. We were able to utilize A.H. Harris resources to get the technical support and equipment needed to address the challenge and in the process deliver value to both the customer and the manufacturer rep! In another instance, an existing Kenseal New York concrete repair customer had a need for rebar, rebar chairs and tie wire, items that would typically have required them to make a phone call to another distributor in order to procure the product. With our new combined resources the customer was able to simply ask his Kenseal sales representative who arranged for the pricing and delivery of the product through Harris. We were able to be a “one-stop shop” for the customer’s needs!
- Depth of Knowledge of Associates – We are much more than sales representatives, warehouse associates and delivery specialists. We are product experts, problem-solvers, innovators and partners who put our customers needs first. With a sales & service team of over 600 people and an average tenure of 8 years, we now share an even greater range of expertise in the industry.
- New Product Opportunities – Both A.H. Harris (100 years) and Kenseal (40 years) over time have strong relationships with the industry’s top manufacturers. These partnerships allow us to bring new ideas and products to each of the division portfolios. Stay tuned for information on Nomaflex & Adcor Waterstops and how they might be beneficial to your next project.
This is just a sampling of the initiatives we are undertaking to capitalize on the collective resources our new partnership possesses. We thank you for your willingness to embrace this change and hope you will experience first-hand “‘what’s in it for me?”’ if you haven’t already!