Just in time for our Centennial Celebrations (as you know, A.H. Harris was founded in 1916), we published a new product catalog (order your free copy here)! On over 200 pages, we listed our best selling items and contractor favorites from the industry’s most respected manufacturers. Old copies of the previous catalog may include discontinued products, so definitely get your hands on a new copy from your local Harris branch or our website. Speaking of website – we also just launched our brand new Harris page at the beginning of February. We have been working on the new site for the past few months, trying not only to incorporate the latest web design and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) standards, but also to drastically improve the site navigation, functionality and showcasing Harris’ core businesses. The old page – which served us well for many years – was not mobile friendly. 27%-30% of our web traffic prior revamp came from mobile devices already (trending upwards of course), which means too many of you may have experienced a less-than-optimal site performance on your smartphones and tablets. User experience is most certainly one of our key focuses! So other than mobile friendliness, what else is new on the updated page?
- Less cluster, more information! Clear design, intuitive site navigation, more content and keywords, easy to read.
- 3 core businesses right on top of the page! Building materials, Forming & Shoring and Fabricated Rebar get the space and spotlight they deserve.
- More info about Harris! Easier to do research on our company for customers, business partners and potential new associates. Leadership team and employee testimonials are making the Harris brand more personal and accessible.
- HarMac now integrated! We took the content from harmacrebar.com and included it on our new page. One company, two great organizations – stronger together. The current HarMac page will get retired shortly.
- Let your phone get you to the closest Harris/HarMac location! Improved maps functionality, pulls up google maps and offers directions from any location enabled device (within a 500 mile radius).
The new design and layout are a result of industry best practices, years of experience, internal testing and customer feedback. So it’s pretty set in stone, right? Of course not – we will never stop making improvements to it. Change is constant. We can add or edit information at any time, as we expand our offerings, add locations or react to Google algorithm changes. We are adding vendor or product specific promo pages and now have dedicated articles for our graduate and intern programs as well as our corporate social responsibility initiatives. Product categories are much clearer and we can already see that our visitors spend more time on our website browsing through the information provided.
The new site launch was certainly a major milestone for us. We did not remove any existing content or functionality though, so things like request a quote, paying invoices online, apply for credit etc. are all still available. About a month into the new design, our work is not done yet. We respond to and act upon customer & employee feedback and will continue to focus on search engine optimization. New pages need to get indexed, old ones scraped from the world wide web. Any outdated links need fixing and new features are already lined up. Please check out ahharris.com and poke around. We would love to hear your feedback!